Tuesday, February 13 in the news.....
- A restaurant popular with celebrities and fashionistas in London is offering free food to skinny models who have come under attack for promoting a stick-thin image which critics says encourages eating disorders in young women. Even more critics opposed this move, saying free British food encourages eating disorders in people.
- The President of the Czech Republic called global warming a myth, he criticised the UN Panel as being a political body and questioned Al Gore's sanity. Al Gore responded through a spokesman and brushed it off, saying it will do little as his global warming movement is now more popular than the Beatles and Jesus.
- A Muslim cleric freed from prison in Egypt on Sunday four years after he was grabbed in a Milan street in a suspected CIA kidnapping said on Monday the ordeal had made him a wreck. The cleric said he couldn't even drive a truck bomb into US interests in his present state.
- Average life expectancy in China will rise significantly by the middle of the century, Chinese academics forecast in a report issued in state media on Monday. The state media also reported that the biggest killers of Chinese will remain cancer, heart attack, Falun Gong supporter and Pro-Western student activist.
- Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama drew a contrast with rival Hillary Rodham Clinton on the Iraq war on Sunday and said it was unclear how she planned to end the conflict. Obama was then asked why he had been unclear on ending the gang war in Los Angeles, and would he be withdrawing all hispanic gang members so the Bloods and Crips could look to resolve a peace on their terms.