Tuesday, April 17 in the news.....
- At least 25 people are dead in what may be the biggest mass killing on a college campus in American history — and the death toll may rise. Police at Virginia Tech said that the shootings happened at a dormitory and a classroom on opposite sides of the university campus Monday morning in Blacksburg, Virginia. President Bush said he was 'shocked' at the news. Vice President Dick Cheney said he was 'alarmed' at the news, especially since early reports suggest the shooter has much better aim than him. Meanwhile, John Kerry is looking to pose for photos with a rifle at the campus to show he means business on supporting the Second Amendment and also announce his candidacy for the 2008 Presidential election.
- In the wake of the shooting it has been revealed that there have been two separate bomb threats in the past two weeks at Virginia Tech that targeted engineering buildings. Authorities are investigating a bunch of giggly school kids that have now fled across the Canandian border Monday afternoon.
- Aside from the bomb threats over the past two weeks authorities have also said the university campus received a few global warming threats as well.
- The university reported shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and continuing about two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building. Don Imus stirred further controversy after he said on a radio show that 'The early nappy-headed bird gets the worm.'
- Up until Monday, the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history took place in 1966 at the University of Texas, where Charles Whitman climbed to the 28th-floor observation deck of a clock tower and opened fire. He killed 16 people before he was gunned down by police. A spokesman for the deceased Mr. Whitman noted today that 'records are meant to be broken'.
- Witnesses said he was heavily armed and entered the college looking for his girlfriend. Local media are touting it as the messiest break-up ever.